HP Tower G4 Overview
Designed for engineering, visualization, and machine learning, the VR-ready Z4 G4 Series Tower Workstation from HP delivers the performance necessary for a wide spectrum of applications, including 3D CAD and rendering, simulation applications, VFX and design visualization, machine learning and edge-computing environments, and other intensive tasks. Its exterior provides tool-free access to a modular interior, while internal cooling solutions help to ensure its components won’t overheat. The system is powered by a 3.6 GHz Intel Xeon W-2123 Quad-Core processor and 8.25MB of Intel Smart Cache memory, all of which will allow you to run multiple applications simultaneously and provide significant performance gains when running multi-threaded tasks. If more power is needed, the CPU can deliver extra performance by increasing its clock speed up to 3.9 GHz utilizing Intel’s Turbo Boost 2.0 technology.
The 16GB of 2666 MHz DDR4 ECC Registered RAM comes in a 2 x 8GB configuration, allowing the computer to run multiple applications simultaneously and to quickly access frequently used files and programs. As this RAM features ECC technology, it is able to help detect and correct the most common kinds of internal data corruption. This RAM is also registered, and registered memory modules, also known as buffered memory modules, place less electrical load on the memory controller and allow single systems to remain stable with more memory modules than they would have otherwise.
For long-term storage of your files, this system is equipped with a 512GB NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD with Triple-Level Cell (TLC) NAND flash memory. If you want to add external storage drives, optical drives, printers, memory card readers, or other peripherals, the Z4 G4 features ten 5 Gb/s USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A ports (4 front, 6 rear), with one of the front Type-A ports doubling as a charging port. There are also two PS/2 ports. For users who wish to add additional components to the drive bays, the Z4 G4 features two internal 3.5″/2.5″ drive bays, two external 5.25″ drive bays, and two M.2 slots that support 2260, 2280, and 22110 form factors. The dedicated NVIDIA Quadro P2000 graphics card has 5GB of GDDR5 RAM and delivers a sharp, clear picture while allowing for multiple simultaneous displays to be used via its four DisplayPort 1.4 outputs at resolutions up to 5128 x 2880 @ 60 Hz or 4096 x 2160 @ 120 Hz. Whether you are listening to music, watching a movie, or playing a game, the integrated Realtek HD ALC221 audio controller outputs high-definition audio and delivers higher fidelity than standard audio controllers. Network connectivity is achieved using dual integrated Gigabit Ethernet ports, and HP’s Slim DVD Writer can be used to read from and write to optical media.
The Z4 G4 Series Tower Workstation includes a USB keyboard, a USB mouse, a power cord, an HP Z4 G4 Memory Cooling Solution, and an HP Z4 G4 Fan Front Card Guide. It is powered by an internal 750W power supply. The installed operating system is Windows 10 Pro for Workstations (64-Bit), which scales up for machines with a high number of logical processors and large amounts of RAM for server-grade hardware and power users.
B&H Photo is an authorized HP reseller with professional in-house technicians available for upgrades & installations on these workstations and laptops. Built with power and speed in mind, the Z Series is designed to enhance audio and video post-production workflows and more. Each HP Z series workstation or laptop features a range of top-tier processors and large RAM loadouts. The workstations are built with graphics flexibility in mind as well so that the end consumer can configure the graphics options to their needs, and each unit includes a 3/3/3 warranty – 3 years limited warranty for parts, 3 years limited warranty for labor, and 3 years of repairs performed at customer site for those parts not eligible for Customer Self Repair (CSR). For 24/7 customer service, please call 1-800-334-5144.
HP Z4 G4 Workstation Features
- Feature-Rich Functionality
- HP’s Z4 G4 Series Tower Workstation offers a plethora of standard features. When combined with multiple configuration options, users can select a blend of components to meet their performance requirements.
- Visualization Powerhouse
- Visualize your project with the power to move seamlessly between 3D CAD, rendering, and simulation applications. The Z4 can handle tasks that require high-frequency processing, multiple cores, and high-powered GPUs for an optimized design process.
- Advanced Security Features
- Advanced security features come standard on every Z4. Rest assured that your device, identity, and data are safe with security software like HP Client Security Suite Gen3 and HP Sure Start Gen3 featuring a self-healing BIOS.
- DDR4 Memory Supported
- The HP Z4 G4 supports up to 512GB using eight ECC Registered memory modules.
- Front I/O
- This HP Z4 G4 is configured with the Standard Front I/O option and is equipped with four USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A ports, one of which supports charging, and a headset audio port.
- Internal I/O
- Internally, there is one USB 3.1 Gen 1 single-port header, one USB 2.0 single-port header, and one USB 2.0 dual-port header.
- Rear I/O
- In the rear I/O area, the HP Z4 G4 provides six 5 Gb/s USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A ports, dual Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports, a 3.5mm audio line-in/mic-in jack, a 3.5mm audio line-out jack, and two PS/2 ports.
- PCIe Slots
- Slot 0
Mechanical only, for use with devices that require only rear bulkhead mountingSlot 1
PCI Express Gen3 x16 (from CPU)
PCI Express Gen3 x4 (from PCH) with open-ended connector
PCI Express Gen3 x16 (from CPU)
PCI Express Gen3 x4 (from PCH) with open-ended connector
PCI Express Gen3 x8 (from CPU) with open-ended connector
Slots 1 through 5 support full-height, full-length cards (with an extender). Open-ended connectors allow a greater bandwidth (e.g. x16) card to be installed physically into a lower bandwidth connector/slot.
- M.2 Slots
- Slot 1
PCI Express Gen3 x4 supplied by CPU. Socket Type 3, Key M, H4.2, sizes 2260-D5-M, 2280-D5-M, and 22110-D5-MSlot 2
PCI Express Gen3 x4 supplied by CPU. Socket Type 3, Key M, H4.2, sizes 2260-D5-M, 2280-D5-M, and 22110-D5-M.
Windows 10 Pro
- Start Menu
- After its hiatus in Windows 8, the Start Menu has returned. Utilizing a combination of the traditional menu system and Windows 8’s Live Tiles, the improved Start Menu gives you more information at a glance, showing notification information alongside your applications and other pinned items.
- Microsoft’s digital personal assistant, Cortana can answer your questions with information gleaned from both your device and the internet at large. You can type or even talk with her, if your system has a microphone. Using her Notebook, Cortana keeps track of your needs and wants, and she learns over time to improve her information gathering skills.
- Microsoft Edge
- After nearly 20 years, Microsoft has finally replaced its Internet Explorer web browser. With Microsoft Edge, users can write directly on web pages and share notes with friends and colleagues. It also improves the online reading experience by adding a distraction-free mode and read-it-later functionality. Edge also has built-in Cortana integration; you can have her help you find a restaurant, make a reservation, and pull up directions without leaving your browser.
- Windows Store
- For Windows 10, Microsoft has unified the Windows Store. Now, apps for PCs, tablets, and phones will all be accessible from one place. And with support for Universal Apps, one version of an app can work across all your compatible devices automatically.
- Windows Continuum
- Windows 10 was designed for a variety of screen sizes and input styles, and with its Continuum feature, it automatically adapts to fit your needs. A Windows 10 tablet on its own requires a touch-centric approach, but attaching a mouse and keyboard will shift everything to a more traditional interface. You can even attach an external monitor to your Windows 10 phone for a near-desktop experience. But it’s not just the operating system; Windows Universal Apps take advantage of Continuum as well.
- Xbox on Windows 10
- Gaming is a big focus of Windows 10. Xbox integration allows for PC players to match up against Xbox One players on supported games, and if you have an Xbox One, you can even stream compatible titles to your PC. Native support for recording with the new Game DVR feature makes it easy to capture and share your gameplay. The new DirectX12 takes better advantage of multi-core processors, giving games a performance boost, even on older hardware. Windows 10 also features native support for virtual reality headsets, such as the Oculus Rift.
- Windows 10 Pro
- The Pro version of Windows 10 includes all of the features of Windows 10 Home plus many designed specifically for business users, including Hyper-V virtualization, BitLocker disk encryption, and remote desktop access. Devices will also be able to join domains and the Azure Active Directory, and they can even access a specialized version of the Windows Store featuring custom, company-specific applications.